The client had two words for what she wanted: “oceany” and “plant.” With those two words as my directive, I designed, executed, and installed a suite of bath fixtures as part of a client’s home renovation. I also created a unique paper towel holder for the kitchen (which you can read about HERE).
I forged steel bar and pipe into grassy stems, anemones, seaweed, and kelp using my 25-lb. Little Giant power hammer and two different sets of dies (drawing dies and art dies).
This commissioned paper towel holder is nature’s form turned into whimsical function at its finest. An anemone holds the paper towel roll in place. A strategically positioned coral arm serves as de facto ‘backstop’ for tearing off a paper towel.
I was asked to make this common kitchen fixture as part of a client's home renovation. I thoroughly enjoyed turning a common kitchen fixture into a featured item. (I also created a suite of bath fixtures for this client which you can read about HERE).
I forged steel bar and pipe using my 25-lb. Little Giant power hammer and two different sets of dies (drawing dies and art dies). The base is torch-cut 1/2" steel plate. I used my usual method of sealing with a clear lacquer after cleaning the metal with a wire wheel.
I made this panel from scrap metal in my inventory. This screen serves as eye candy and as a nod of courtesy to neighbors and visitors so that, when rounding the corner to my house, the first thing they see isn't my scrap bin and metal supply. I like to keep an inventory of various steel sizes and types, but it’s not always the most attractive site (although I do try to keep the area tidy...).
The screen is intentionally two-sided so that it looks as good from the ‘back side’ as it does from the street (see the third photo). This ‘Scrap Screen’ panel measures 5’ tall x 8’ long x 1.5” deep.
Jenny wanted a mail holder, not unlike my ‘armadillo mail holder’. Except she didn’t want an armadillo.
So I pulled an exoskeleton from my scrap pile of previously-started-then-aborted projects -- in this case, an attempt at a pea pod using my tack-and-bend technique.
Back stories and latest goings-on in the studio